December 19, 2014 in Events
We’ve got your answer! A membership at THINQTANQ!!!
Your entrepreneur can get more work done, meet potential new clients, and come as and when they want.
We’ve got membership levels for every budget and are very flexible, so you can change levels any time. If you don’t know how often you’ll use the space, then try a pack of 10 passes which you can use anytime during the year. (But we’re sure you’ll get hooked on a regular schedule once you find how much more productive you can be!)
We’ve got a fabulous range of activities to enjoy in addition to the awesome work environment, and some really interesting people to meet and work alongside. If you want 2015 to be the year your business finally takes off, where you feel as if you OWN your business and are driving it forward, you really need to be at THINQTANQ!
Meantime, have a fabulous Christmas and a most prosperous NEW YEAR!
Just a quick reminder about our
Fantastic Festive Freelancers lunch
this coming Friday!
We’ve already got LOADS of PEOPLE signed up bringing
an AMAZING array of interesting and delicious foods and drink!
Have you signed up yet??
Don’t miss it – hardly any preparation is necessary and
you get to have
a brilliant Christmas Party!
Quick! Sign up here, right now!
Feel as if you work hard, but don’t get the afternoon off to play with your colleagues?
Well, wallow in self-pity no more! We’ve got the answer!
Next Friday, 12 December 2014, we are hosting a
Fantastic Festive Lunch for Freelancers!!
(and others who work from home.)
Best of all, the lunch is FREE!
Well, except for your contribution…We are asking everyone who comes to
bring a dish or drinks to share, creating a lovely smorgasbord for all to enjoy.
Lunch is from 1 pm to 4 pm (or longer)
Please sign up here: https://eventbrite.co.uk/
Look forward to seeing you at our Fantastic Festive Lunch for Freelancers !
When I get stuck, I like to go back to basics, and for me that often means remembering why I am in this place to begin with. Literally why THIS PLACE. I go outside for a walk to soak in the air and leaves and vistas in my place, or if I can’t go outside right then, I look at a few photos and bingo! There is why. (see photo)
Of course the place itself isn’t always the full answer, but it does help me get focused on why I am here in this place and what I am doing. And then I can move forward again to what I should be doing and why it is important, today.
So in my case, why I am in Plymouth? That is a story for perhaps another day, but once I landed here I realised I wanted to be part of a community, and one of the ways to do that was to find other people who are working on their own business, and who also enjoy the company and support of others whilst working. There are proper networking groups, but being a bit of an introvert, the traditional networking events and groups didn’t really work for me. After various turns and twists, I teamed up with Rob and Kirsty Wick to start THINQTANQ. Now we have a space where people who work from home can come along and work here on a regular basis – set by their own timetable – and enjoy the company and ‘networking’ that happens naturally when you work around others. Plus we organise other events that our members ask for or which we think they might enjoy, and then other people get to enjoy our lovely airy space smack in the middle of Plymouth.
And everyday I get to take a boat then walk through the Barbican to get to work around really interesting people doing all kinds of inspiring work. How amazingly wonderful is that!
So when I think about all that: the lovely Plymouth setting, that I get to enjoy the changing light on water every day as part of my commute, and that I get to work around people who choose to be here, I get slightly goose-bumpy and a little smile inside, and think how very lucky I am. It is pretty easy to move forward when I think about it like that!
So how about you? What do you do when you get stuck? If you think you might need a change of place to do your work, I know a really lovely place you can stop by any weekday :). Hope to hear from you soon! You can find me here, or at http:thinqtanq.co.uk.
Whilst I confess to being a holiday junkie, and there will likely be the first set of fairy lights put up before the end of the week, here at THINQTANQ the focus is on getting our work done. So if you are struggling to maintain focus at home, and would like to crack on for a few more days, why not try coming along and getting your work done here? For only a fiver, you can work 4 full hours, have free tea or coffee, and enjoy our warm and comfortable working space. Just bring your laptop, and you’ll be ready to go!
If you need to get your end of year goals finished, but like me, when you are working at home, you might instead peruse a few catalogues, finish the dirty dishes, start a load of laundry, then finish it, all before sitting down at the computer, you need some discipline! Nothing like working around a bunch of other business owners – just like you – who are focusing on getting their work done. The enthusiasm and passion for getting work done rubs off, and soon you are well on your way.
And after a day of focus, you can go home and relax. Remember that word? It takes on a special meaning when you can happily say you got your work done for the day so you can now RELAX. And when you’ve really focused for a few hours with no distractions, it is amazing what you can get done.
Once again this week I heard one of our new members say towards the end of his third hour working here: “um, I finished my list of tasks for the day, now I’m not sure what to do!” Imagine that!
And, please, don’t just imagine, try it for yourself. We can’t wait to see you! For directions and more details about working at THINQTANQ, click here!
We’re excited to share two more events coming up at THINQTANQ the next two Saturdays. Both events are geared towards the creative hacker/maker/tinkerer type, but don’t worry, we’ve got other types of creative holiday-themed events lined up for early December!
This coming Saturday 8th November: Our Monthly M.E.S.H day (that’s Make.Engineer.Socialise.Hack) will be taking place from 9-5. Drop in for any or all of the day, work on your own project, or pitch in to help on some group projects. Will this be the day we get the 3D printer working? More information about the group projects and details of the day can be found here: http://www.exploremesh.co.uk/?p=111
Next Saturday, 15 November: We’re hosting a Google Polymer Hack Day! Come learn about Google’s new technology, Polymer, the tool behind Google’s new Inbox, and then apply what you’ve learned to your own projects or join in with others to tackle a group project. Be among the first to learn how this technology is transforming the web experience! More details about the day and to sign up (required, no fee) are here:
We hope to see you at one of more of these Saturday events, and stay tuned for more events coming up in November and December. If you can’t wait, head on over to THINQTANQ’s website to see upcoming event listings: http://thinqtanq.spaces.nexudus.com/en/events
Treat yourself to a fun day learning and socialising! And of course, biscuits!
Just wanted to share all our fun this week! Our pumpkin carving judging will happen Thursday at 1pm so everyone has time to get their pumpkins scooped out and carved. The pumpkins are starting to gather, as are the initial carving efforts.
In the meantime, Wednesday is our monthly ‘cake and conversations’ with the Plymouth Business Networking group from 10 am to 12 noon. This month we have a special sponsor and short talk by Eric Moller of Copy Dojo, from zero to copywriting hero. I am really looking forward to hearing more from Eric – I found his insights into sales copy writing really easy to grasp and had a couple of those ‘aha’ moments when I heard him speak last month at the Digpen Conference. Everyone is welcome at these FREE events, so I hope you can find time in your schedule to come along tomorrow and meet him yourself!
On Thursday of course we will have the carved pumpkin judging, and other Halloween treats!
Don’t forget, even if you work from home, you can always pop into THINQTANQ for the day, or even half a day to give yourself a change of place. Your work self will thank you for the boost in productivity, and you will enjoy that feeling of going home at the end of the day with so much accomplished. And besides, you’ll get a few hours of that holiday feeling (without shopping), which sometimes is just what we need to feel connected to the rest of the world.
See you soon!
Here in the UK we are getting bombarded with reminders to reserve your company Christmas lunch at local restaurants now! One of our members suggested that since people working on their own or as freelancers don’t ever get invited to the traditional Company Christmas party, maybe THINQTANQ should organise one for OUR community. What a fantastic idea – so we are!
It reminded me that although there are many reasons most entrepreneurs and other independents prefer working on their own/not working for “the man”, there are periodically events and circumstances when you are reminded that you are out of the mainstream of how working generally works. And holiday celebrations are one of them. So we plan to do our best to make holidays at least as fun here as they are in any cool office.
To begin, Monday 27 October we’ve got our pumpkin carving competition set for a 1 pm ‘carve-off’ (BYOP). Some of the entrants are already talking trash to each other to push up the design standards, particularly amongst the graphic designers. If you’ve been trying to decide what day to come in, I’d highly recommend next Monday – it should be a cracking event. And even if you are not graphically skilled (like me) we plan to support and celebrate all our carver’s efforts, not just the competitive lads. Hope to see you here!
We’ll be sure to post some photos next week!
We’ve been known to have a laugh or two here at THINQTANQ, and know that since we all work hard, we might as well enjoy ourselves just as enthusiastically. If you are a freelancer, a sense of humour will get you through some of the more frustrating moments, and of course will help you be more fun to work with and more likeable to your clients. If you work in an organisation, it is also very important to make time to have a good laugh. If you need more convincing, here is a quick list of 10 reasons why humour is a key to success at work (excerpted from an article by Jacquelyn Smith, Forbes Magazine: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/05/03/10-reasons-why-humor-is-a-key-to-success-at-work/2/).
- People will enjoy working with you. “People want to work with people they like,” Laura Vanderkam says. “Why wouldn’t you? You spend huge chunks of your waking hours at work, so you don’t want it to be a death march. Humor–deftly employed–is a great way to win friends and influence people. You need to be funny, but not snarky (that’s not good for team building) and you can’t offend anyone.”
- Humor is a potent stress buster. “In fact, it’s a triple whammy,” Michael Kerr explains. “Humor offers a cognitive shift in how you view your stressors; an emotional response; and a physical response that relaxes you when you laugh.”
- It is humanizing. “Humor allows both employees and managers to come together, realizing that we all seek common ground,” Lynn Taylor says.
- It puts others at ease. Humor is a way to break through the tension barrier, she says. “Research shows that humor is a fabulous tension breaker in the workplace,” Kerr adds. “People who laugh in response to a conflict tend to shift from convergent thinking where they can see only one solution, to divergent thinking where multiple ideas are considered.”
- Ha + ha = aha! “Humor is a key ingredient in creative thinking,” Kerr says. “It helps people play with ideas, lower their internal critic, and see things in new ways.” Humor and creativity are both about looking at your challenges in novel ways and about making new connections you’ve never thought about before, he adds. Taylor agrees. She says humor “establishes a fertile environment for innovation because people are more inspired when they are relaxed.”
- It helps build trust. “You can build trust with the effective use of humor because humor often reveals the authentic person lurking under the professional mask,” Kerr says. He explains that numerous studies suggest that people who share a healthy, positive sense of humor tend be more likable and are viewed as being more trustworthy. “Humor is also viewed as sign of intelligence,” he adds. “All of these characteristics, as well as the fact that humor is a fabulous icebreaker and can tear down walls, can help people build relationships in the workplace, and especially these days, relationships are critical to success.”
- It boosts morale. Humor boosts morale and retention while reducing turnover because employees look forward to coming to work, Taylor says. “Employees like to work for and with others who have a sense of humor. We all prefer to have fun at work. It should not feel like an indentured servitude environment.”
- People who use humor tend to be more approachable. The more approachable you are, especially as a leader, the more honest and open people around you will be, Kerr says. “And the more honest and open people tend to be, the more successful and innovative teams tend to be.”
- Humor can allow your company to stand out. “It can help companies stand out and go beyond with their customer service, garnering them a huge loyal following,” he says. If you want to stand out from the pack, using humor with your service is an effective way to do that.
- It can increase productivity. “Humor creates an upbeat atmosphere that encourages interaction, brainstorming of new ideas, and a feeling that there are few risks in thinking outside the box. All that leads to greater productivity,” Taylor explains. “It also stands to reason that if you’re in a more jovial atmosphere, you’ll have more passion for what you do. Your work ethic will increase, and your enthusiasm will likely be contagious. It’s a win-win for you and your employer.”
Let us know what YOU do to have a good laugh at work…